Save Handmade Toys

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Movies! Movies!

Yesterday, my family and I went to the movies, and saw Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,which was awesome, I might add. I have always enjoyed the books,and there's nothing like the book,but there's just something about seeing a brilliantly written story come to life,not just in your mind,but on the big screen. As a reader,I feel the joy and the excitement of knowing that a wonderful piece of art will be shared with countless others; I can only imagine how the author feels about this,if I,a mere reader feels this way.



When we entered the theater to buy our tickets for our 11:00 a.m. showing(at Magic Johnson's tickets are $5 before Noon)I noticed this poster for a children's movie called Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs,and I couldn't wrap my finger around the title,but it sounded familiar. So, the whole time we're in line for popcorn and drinks,I'm like,Cloudy With....Cloudy With...Cloudy With a Chance....and still nothing! So, we get our refreshments and head toward our movie,and then I spot the poster once again for this movie and I just can't stop looking at it. As I am walking along, I study every detail of that poster and then it hits me.......this was one of my favorite books as kid!!!!!!!!That was the first book I ever checked out of the school library and one that I checked out over and over in 2nd and 3rd grade. Unfortunately for me,through the years it became a favorite of other children at our school,thanks to the program Reading Rainbow,(it was mandatory for grades 2 thru 7 to watch the program before going to the library for your weekly class visit) the book was recommended by one of the kids on the show and I never checked it out again. But over the years,I've thought about that book, remembering the title was long....and something about spaghetti, butter,and meatball. I never could remember the title,but whenever my children would ask me about some of my favorite stories....I would always tell them a little about that book. Now, a book that meant so much to me as a child,will be coming to the big screen(I'm about to cry) and now my kids will see why this book touched me. That was the first book where illustration fascinated me. I really can't wait to see this movie and Where the Wild Things Are a truly beautiful timeless classic. Now,lets see some movies!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment